Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sherlock Holmes


This is one of my favorite classic detective stories. I had been waiting for the chance to illustrate the cover and the BFA project was the perfect opportunity.

On this one, I have divided the jacket to show where the flaps, covers and spine meet and end. It was kind of hard for people to visualize so for the show, I printed each jacket out and wrapped it around a book (or a block of wood that looked like a book) and they looked great. My dad cut the pieces of wood for me and I painted them with pages and covers. People kept trying to open them, not realizing that it wasn't a book at all.

This was my initial idea for the cover. It's a quick value sketch, but it told me what I needed to know. I needed to change my composition.

1 comment:

Grayson said...

Skeeeeery!!!!! These are great!